Sunday, March 16, 2014

If not us... then who?

Lots of people say think we're crazy and most of the time I believe them. We don't have enough time, patience, money, or room to be foster parents... We already have four kids, why do we think we can handle more. I'm not going to lie, the past two weeks have been challenging. Chaos is probably a better word for it. But this morning, I watched a 3 year old boy (that we've known for only 2 weeks) crawl under my husband's arm and say, "Daddy, protect me." I watched my husband wrap his arm around him and quietly reassure him that he would protect him.
We might not be perfect parents. We might not be independently wealthy.  My four kids might have to deal with some extra challenges and inconveniences of two additional children. But if it's one thing my sweet husband and this 3 year boy reminded me is that these scared, unsure children are desperately seeking two main things: love and protection.
I think that's what makes my husband a real man... a man who would be willing to deal with the chaos, inconvenience, and challenges of foster care to offer this little guy and his sister two things they need: love and protection. If not us... then who will?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written and I know those children are so blessed to have you in their lives!

Unknown said...

That's truly awesome. God bless and may you inspire us all!

About the McGuire's

My photo
Fort Worth, Texas
Six people... one great adventure. A family's mission to live life with faith and love for other people.

Followers